Q. I need to locate information on a particular building. Where do I start?
You may come to the Architecture Library Desk to begin your research, or you may access many of the University Libraries databases and online resources to begin your research from home.
Keep in mind that to locate information on a building, you can search by building name, architect, period/style, location, and building type.
By Building Name/Architect:
- Books: Search the library catalog by the name of the building and/or architect
- Journal Articles: Start your search in Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals and search for the building and/or architect; you may also search in Art Source, JSTOR, DAAI, etc.
Building Type or Period/Style:
- Books: Search the library catalog by building type or period/style
- Journal Articles: Search article databases (Avery, JSTOR) for articles on your building
Location by city and country:
- Look for historical and cultural studies or surveys of some cities and countries
- Books: Search the library catalog for books on architecture of cities and countries where the building is located